Monday, May 30, 2011

Drowning and Pests

Well.  I was so excited that I had got my garden in so early and quickly this year, unlike last year.  But, this has not proved to be a good thing.  We have gotten SO MUCH RAIN!  There are puddles and pools in my garden, which has increased the amount of slugs and other bugs that eat my plants.  So not only are they drowning, but they have to fight off the chompers as well.  And I can't get in the garden to get the bugs b/c they are so soft.  I did notice a lot more spiders in the garden this year, so hopefully they will fight for me and eat the bugs! :)
The blueberries are looking good though!
The new ones I planted last fall look great despite all the plowing that knocked some of them down.

I used Straw this year to keep the weeds down, and it's helping a lot!  But I think it may be attracting some bugs.

The zucchini and cukes are looked really bad due to the rain and the squash bugs.

The tomato plant that Jay's coworker gave me is looking pretty pitiful.  A bunch of the leaves got bent off from high winds. 

But there are a few flowers on it already!
My tomatoes and peppers are starting to look good with the little bit of sun we've gotten today!


My peas are loving the weather.  But no beans yet.

Onyx wants me to pay attention to him, but I'm busy. 

My radishes also love the rain.  Some of them ended up 1 foot away due to the hard rain, but it's ok.
And a few of the marigolds are starting to form flowers which will hopefully keep away some of these pest bugs.

Not many of  my mom's flowers popped up this year, but these globe ones look really nice. 
The weather is looking up for the rest of the week!

Have a Good Memorial Day!  Thank you to ALL our troops!

No comments:

Post a Comment